March 18, 2016

Friday Round Up - 18th March, 2016

This week Friday Round Up kicks off with The Lovers, a beautiful series of portraits of couples that have been together for 50 years or more by Lauren Fleishman. Also this week Muhammed Muheisen's portraits of child refugees from Syria, a touching story on an Indian dog rescuer, alarming statistics on the issue of trust in the media and other interesting articles.

The Lovers - Lauren Fleishman

This is a heart-warming series of images, which feature in the book of the same name along with interviews of those couples pictured. When I first saw this series last year I immediately thought of my grandparents who were together for almost 60 years and spent every day with each other working in their wine shop. Theirs was a love I imagined few would experience. Lauren's beautiful book is both nostalgic and uplifting. I am delighted to share some of her images here. To see more visit Lauren's website.









Muhammed Muheisen – Portraits of Syria's Child Refugees in Jordan

Rakan Raslan, 11, from Hama. “I used to go to the school back in Hama,” Raslan said. “I used to have friends there. Our home was destroyed in the war and we had to flee to Jordan.” Rakan said that without an education, his future is in doubt. “The best I can become is a driver".

This week TIME magazine ran a series of portraits by Muhammed Muheisen, who has been photographing conflict for the past 15 years. I met up with Muhammed at Visa Pour L'Image a couple of years ago and we spoke about his work. At the time he told me: “I was born in Jerusalem and raised in conflict, so it has always been part of my life". Given his own experience, it is not surprising he is drawn to telling the stories of those who are also growing up in conflict.

At college he studied journalism and political science, “but my passion is photography” he said. In 2001 he got a chance to work with Associated Press (AP) as a journalist. “But I also had my camera and I found myself taking pictures. For me a picture is worth millions of words…I don’t want to offend anyone, I studied journalism, but for me I found a connection with photography and storytelling”. 


Mariam Aloush, 8, from Homs. "I remember our home in Syria and my school there. I just want to go back".


Zahra al-Jassim, 10, from Hama. "I dream of going back to Syria to see my friends Raghd, Halima, and Najwa". 

Covering conflict zones for AP as a photographer Muhammed said he began to think about what happened to the people he’d photographed once the stories dropped from the news headlines. “I started to take steps away from news events”. The more he travelled, the more he was drawn to the human side of conflict, to the contrast, to those moment where life goes on despite what’s happening around it. 

These portraits not only show the faces of some of the youngest victims of the Syrian conflict who now call the tent camps near Mafraq, in Jordan home. They put a human face on the conflict and give these children the opportunity to tell their stories in both pictures and words (because words are important too in putting images into context!). To see more images visit TIME.

Meghanadan A S - The Dog Saviour



In this photo essay Indian photographer Meghanadan A S captures the work of Arun Pasare and his wife Suvarna as they care for stray dogs found on the streets of Pune, India. The couple has been looking after, and feeding, strays for the past nine years and their act of kindness is in contrast to the way stray dogs are usually treated. 







No comments:

Post a Comment